We know wedding dress shopping can seem intimidating at first, but we want you to have a fun and relaxing experience here at SOSN. You’ll be in safe hands with our stylists, and we’re here to answer any questions you might have as you plan your dream wedding. Here are some answers to common questions to help you get started.
1. When should I start shopping for a dress? We recommend shopping for your wedding dress soon after you choose your wedding date and venue. Most gowns take between four to six months to arrive from the date you order the dress, so to give yourself a stress-free experience and to avoid rush fees, it's best to start shopping 9-12 months before your wedding. Even with shorter lead times, we still have lots of options that can be ready in time for your wedding. Many of our popular gowns are in stock with the designers so they can ship sooner, and other gowns may be able to be rushed with a small fee. We also have a frequently-changing selection of new and sample gowns that can be purchased off the rack, which are great for any kind of time frame!
2. Why should I order a wedding dress from a boutique rather than online? With rare exception, most bridal brands do not allow their gowns to be sold online. They protect their quality and the value of the shopping experience by selling only through bridal boutiques. Most online offerings wind up being poorly made copies of designer gowns that only disappoint in quality and fit. We've worked with too many heartbroken brides trying to find last minute replacements for these gowns, and we simply can't endorse them. Whether you find your dream dress with us at SOSN, or at another boutique, there is no substitute for the attention and experience you will have when shopping locally.
3. Do I need an appointment? We highly recommend setting an appointment with us to shop for a wedding gown. This sets aside 90 minutes especially for you with a bridal stylist, fully devoted to helping you find your wedding gown.
We do our best to give all walk-ins the opportunity to try on dresses, but without an appointment, the dressing rooms are first come, first serve, and there may be a bit of a wait, especially on Saturdays.
4. What should I bring to my appointment? Please bring any support garments you might consider wearing with your wedding dress - strapless bras, spanx, etc. Please remember that our gowns may be tried on by other brides, so for their hygiene and yours, we ask that you kindly remember to wear underwear for your appointment.
5. Who should I bring to my appointment? Due to the size of our shop, we recommend that you keep your shopping party to no more than 4 adults whose opinions you value and trust. SOSN is not child-proofed, so we do request that children be left at home.
6. Are mimosas, champagne, etc. allowed?
Because of legal and insurance limitations, we do not serve any alcoholic beverages, and we cannot allow them to be brought in to the store.
7. How much do gowns cost at SOSN Boutique? Most of the bridal gowns at SOSN are in the $800-$1,800 price range.
8. Do you have payment plans? For bridal gowns that are ordered, we require a 60% down payment, with the balance paid off within 30 days of the gown's delivery. For our off-the-rack bridal gowns, we offer a 45-day layaway for gowns over $500, with a 50% deposit required. All bridal gowns under $500, and all formal gowns, must be paid in full at the time of purchase.
9. What sizes do you carry? SOSN Boutique carries samples of our orderable gowns in sizes 6-24. Most can be ordered in sizes 0-28, with some to size 32. We strive to have a variety of sizes in our sample gowns, but not all gowns are available to try in all sizes. We can do a lot to help you envision the fit, even if a sample isn't the ideal size for you. The size selection in our off-the-rack gowns will vary as inventory changes frequently, but we try to make sure there are options in a wide range of sizes.
10. What about alterations? Because dresses are standardized and people are not, nearly every wedding gown will need some tweaking to achieve the perfect fit. We do not have in-house alterations at SOSN Boutique, but we do have a preferred seamstress partner that we are happy to refer you to. In the event that she is unavailable for your alterations, we can provide you with a list of other local seamstresses who are experienced with bridal and formal alterations.
11. I want to find accessories for a wedding dress I already have. I am allowed to bring it into the shop? Absolutely! We find it’s much easier to help a bride find the right additions to her gown when she can try everything on together.
Saying "Yes!" to Your Dress!
We understand that you may feel the need to shop, shop, shop and exhaust all your options before saying "Yes!" However, we find that brides who keep the decision simple are the ones who truly have the most positive experience. Over-shopping gets exhausting and complicated, so don't be afraid to say yes to one that you love. Sometimes it really is that simple!